The club was formed by local businessmen
in conjuction with the National Association of Boys Clubs in 1947 and opened its doors in September of that year. The
main reason given was to get the lads off the streets and be involved in positive activities, the club meeting was
held in the old village hall.
By the 1960's this building was no longer fit for purpose and negotiations
were put in place to build new premises with our present building erected and opened in 1969. This was a joint project with
the government meeting 50% of the costs with Leicestershire County Council and the club meeting 25% each.
In the mid 1970's it was finally agreed that girls would be eligible
to become members of the club and have the same right as the boys.
Up to recent years the
club has been heavily involved in outdoor pursuits and camping at home and abroad. The 100mile Canoe Test and such events
as the Water Sports Weekend in Nottingham were popular events for many of our members.
With the change in emphasis to modern technology, outdoor
pursuits are no longer important to our members and the club is now adapting to meet the current needs of those young people